Tell me if this sounds familiar: you want to redecorate your house, but you don’t have the money right now. What do you do? Here are 6 free (or nearly free) things that you can do for an instant facelift. And who can’t afford free?
- Clean your windows. Unless you just cleaned them, there is probably a film on them that is not letting in as much light as they could be. Get out the vinegar and newspaper and let the sun shine in!
- Embrace your inner artist. Pre-hung canvases are not expensive (you could even buy one that has been used at a thrift store). Buy some mis-tinted paint from your local paint store, put on some music and go to town! If you have kids, include them in the festivities – kids’ creativity can’t be beat!
- Remove 5 things you no longer love. Or more if you want! Then rearrange the things that are left – the room will feel lighter and fresher instantly!
- Get out the paint. If you have a piece of furniture, picture frame, lamp (or anything else) that you are tired of, but still serves a purpose, change its color. Spray paint was invented for you!
- Change your lampshades. It sounds crazy, but you can update the whole look of a room by changing the lampshades. This one isn’t free, but if you want a free version, swap lampshades from different lamps. Or at the very least, give those bad boys a deep clean.
- Move it around. When I got married, TC moved into my house. In an effort to make the house feel like we were both moving in, we rearranged all the furniture. I like my married house so much better than my single house!